Thursday, March 29, 2012

Home projects

I'm using my hiatus from the work force to take care of projects around the house.  Things I've been wanting to do for a while and haven't had time.  Here's the first project, a pair of benches made from a tutorial I found on Pinterest, which was a knock off of a Ballard Designs upholstered bench.

Ballard Designs knock off bench

We needed more seating in our family room, and I wanted a couple of benches that would fit neatly into specific spaces.  Here's what I came up with:




I purchased legs from the Home Depot as well as Lowe's.  They are pine and were about $10 each.  I stained them with Minwax Jacobean and sealed them with a satin polyurethane:



The blogger who inspired me to do this used MDF for the seat, which I don't see how that would hold an adult.  I used 3/4" plywood instead.  One large sheet was enough for a couple of benches, plus plenty of leftovers.

Another project I am planning is this console:


This will go in the foyer by the front door.  The space is empty and we just need something there.  I'll be grouping it with a mirror from the old house and some kind of non-breakable accessories (since we have both a cat and a toddler).

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment