I've been trying to make pants for weeks now. Actually, I tried my first pair last fall--it was a disaster. Two more pairs earlier this month found a similar fate so I changed pattern brands from Simplicity to Burda. The Burdas fit a bit better. This is the second pair I have made of this style, Burda 7590. The first pair seemed too small but I didn't put the zipper in them yet and I keep forgetting that cotton sateen will grow as the day wears on.
I am wearing these to work today. These are size 40 and my initial impulse to size down to size 38--even though size 38s should not fit my hips--appears to be correct. The ones I thought were too small are size 38s, and I wonder if after inserting the zipper and wearing them they would actually fit me properly.
I guess I've made about five pairs of pants now. The issue with these is the huge amount of extra space in the waist (2 or 3 inches) and the wrinkles in the front and hips. Also, they give me extra saddle bags! I think I just need to finish the 38s and see how they fit.